Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Land Surveying and Geo-Informatics
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3387
Duration and Credit Requirement
121 (plus 1 training credit)
Ir Dr Wallace Lai Wai-lok
BSc(Hons), PhD, MHKIE
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr Wen-bin Xu
BSc, MSc, PhD
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme is underpinned by the philosophy that our graduates should be capable of coping with rapidly changing market conditions in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and the region, and with the demands of their future professions in land surveying, geo-information technology and utility management and surveying. The Department has close links with professional bodies and invites industry experts to give guest lectures to students whenever appropriate.
The aims of the programme are to
- Provide a land surveying education to meet the requirements of Hong Kong and overseas professional bodies; and
- Equip students with geo-information technology and utility management, so that graduates can work competently and confidently as Geo-Information Systems (GIS) professionals in disciplines such as transport and logistics, and environmental, socio-economic, commercial and construction surveying; or as utility professionals in discipline related to the formation, maintenance and management of underground facilities.
On completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate mathematical and computing skills to solve problems and analyse data;
- Comprehend and apply Geomatics concepts and theories;
- Master Geomatics technologies and apply them appropriately;
- Integrate various Geomatics technologies to solve problems in a professional, timely and cost effective manner;
- Carry out and manage Geomatics projects;
- Work with and supervise others in accordance with, and abide by, the legal, ethical and professional standard in society; and
- Respond to advancements in Geomatics and related technologies with an attitude of continuous and lifelong learning.
The programme curriculum enables students to develop careers in the land and utility surveying, and geo-informatics industry and includes both professional knowledge and subjects related to ethics and global engagement. The Compulsory Subjects equip students with essential knowledge and skills and an introduction to advanced technologies. The programme also provides opportunities for students to pursue further knowledge through independent study.
Compulsory subjects are offered every year, whereas all LSGI elective subjects will be offered once every two years. A provisional plan of the subjects on offer for the next few years is provided to ensure students can plan their studies and choose any elective subject throughout their study period. Elective subjects are offered in alternate years to provide students with two chances to choose a particular subject throughout the 4-year study period.
Recognition and Prospects
The programme will seek accreditation by the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES) and the Hong Kong Institution of Engineering Surveyors (HKIES).
Graduates become professional land surveyors, geo-information technology specialists or utility specialists.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate