Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Marketing
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3894
Duration and Credit Requirement
120 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr TAM Lai-ming Jackie
BSc, MSc, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr CHEN Siok-ngoh Ivy
BAcc, MBA, PhD
- As the 2019/20 Academic Year is the start of the 2019-2022 triennium for which UGC-funded programmes are still subject to the Legislative Council's approval, the number of student intake places shown in this web page is indicative only and subject to change or confirmation at a later date.
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- All BBA(Hons) students must complete a work placement during their studies, either in the summer or during semester time. The Department provides assistance in finding suitable placements.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme provides students with:
- A well-rounded business education;
- Competence in the analysis, planning, implementation and control of marketing decisions;
- Analytical ability and research competence;
- The ability to communicate, interact and intervene in the integrative role that is ascribed to marketing;
- Appreciation of the responsibilities of marketing professionals within broader environmental and international contexts; and
- Literacy in the use of information systems and technology that is relevant to marketing.
The programme focuses on the development of practical skills and academic and professional knowledge. It places a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role playing and simulation exercises. It offers a wide range of subject choices, including Consumer Behaviour, Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Services Marketing, Internet Marketing and Marketing Management in China.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme (WPDP), which includes a wide range of extracurricular activities such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring mentorship, and overseas and Chinese mainland exchanges.
Students can be attached to mentors, experienced executives or managers in the business world who provides advice and support and helps students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits counted towards their PolyU degree.
Marketing students are well equipped with both theoretical and practical experience upon graduation. Our students and graduates have a remarkable track record of obtaining awards from open competitions.
The Department has also developed opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or as part-timers to fulfil 100 hours (3 training credits) of Work-Integrated Education (WIE) requirement. Summer replacements may be found in Hong Kong or the Chinese mainland or overseas. These, and other forms of work experience, can count towards the WIE requirement.
This is a very flexible programme that offers opportunities to study various marketing areas.
Year One covers the university core curriculum and fundamental business subjects, such as Healthy Lifestyle, Leadership & Intra-Personal Development, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Business Analytics, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Statistics for Business, Introduction to Marketing, along with Language and Communication Requirements subjects.
From Year Two onwards, students continue their general business education with subjects such as Management and Organisation, Corporate Social Responsibility, and study marketing in greater depth through subjects such as Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Research, Global Marketing, Business to Business Marketing, Marketing Strategy and Product Management. They can structure their own study paths through a selection of Electives including Further Marketing Research, Marketing Channel Management, Internet Marketing, Sales Management and Strategic Brand Management. Students also have the chance of integrating their marketing knowledge through a Marketing Capstone Project.
Along with a Major in Marketing, students can take a Minor, either in another business discipline or in a non-business discipline.
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme is recognized by the following professional bodies:
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- BBA (Hons) in Marketing students are eligible to apply for CIM Affiliate Studying Members and gain access to a wide range of membership benefits and online resources.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- 4 papers exemption (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- On completion of BBA (Hons) in Marketing programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Marketing graduates qualify for a wide variety of employment opportunities, including in account management, advertising, marketing research, marketing/product/brand management, customer service, public relations, consumer affairs and protection.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate