Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Engineering Physics
Sept 2019 EntryProgramme code: JS3985
Duration and Credit Requirement
Dr C.W. Leung
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
Engineering Physics is a unique programme that focuses on the application of physics to engineering. This combination of physics with engineering enables our graduates to function flexibly and effectively in various careers.
Students gain the ability to analyse and solve practical/engineering problems, which prepares them for complex workplace situations, technological advances and change.
Engineering Physics is the only programme in Hong Kong that amalgamates applied physics and engineering. We produce versatile graduates who can comfortably cope with the multifaceted global economy and fast-paced high technology.
Students benefit from training in both physics and engineering and from familiarisation with sophisticated equipment, including electron microscopes, lasers, solar simulator, surface coating equipment and LED characterisation instruments.
Student exchange programmes with academic institutions in the Chinese mainland and overseas are available. In addition, students will perform Work-Integrated Education (WIE) in the form of short-term placements, many of which are outside PolyU.
- The key studies are in basic and applied physics, strengthened by engineering subjects and computational physics. Supporting subjects include those in languages, computing, mathematics and management. Optoelectronics are the key areas of the Engineering component.
- The Physics Core subjects covers basic physics and applied physics, which are relevant to high-technology industries.
- Students can choose Elective Subjects, including Laser Principles & Applications, Electromagnetic Fields, Computational Physics, Optical Design, Advanced Photonics Laboratory, Radiation Physics, Applied Acoustics, Semiconductor Materials and Devices, Display Technology, Science & Technology of Photovoltaics, and Solid State Lighting.
- Students undertake a Final Year Project to integrate the knowledge, aptitude and skills they have acquired.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/ap.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme produces graduates who are invariably well received by local and overseas employers. Our graduates work in a variety of areas from research at universities to manufacturing to telecommunication to consulting and analysis firms. Many of our graduates go into the booming industry in testing and certification. In addition, our graduates are in demand in the LED industry, medical engineering, aviation industry, software development and the financial sector.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate