Higher Diploma in Applied Physics
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3014
Duration and Credit Requirement
Dr C.H. Lam
Aims and Characteristics
Students gain comprehensive foundation knowledge and skills in applied physics, instrumentation and materials technology.
The broad-based design of the programme enables graduates to seek promising careers in the following sectors:
- Industries that use advanced technology based on scientific instrumentation;
- Industries that require the specification, selection and processing of metals, ceramics, plastics and advanced materials; and
- The sales and service areas of commercial or trading companies that deal with high-technology equipment and materials.
The programme provides a route of articulation to degree programmes.
This programme is unique in Hong Kong and has a long history since 1978. Many of our graduates have already reached senior positions in the industrial and commercial sectors.
The broad-based design of the programme enhances the competitiveness and adaptability of our graduates in the dynamic economic and technological environment of Hong Kong.
Graduates can also pursue further studies in many different fields at local and overseas universities.
- Students study subjects in three major areas, which include applied physics, materials science/technology and scientific instrumentation.
- Year One subjects include Core Subjects, in addition to Mathematics, English, Chinese and broadening subjects.
- Year Two focuses on more advanced Core Subjects and includes an Innovation Project.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/ap.
Recognition and Prospects
Our graduates work in a variety of areas from education to manufacturing and service in industrial sectors and government organisations. They take up a wide variety of positions, such as engineers in testing laboratories, electronic engineers, materials engineers, sales engineers, quality assurance engineers, reliability engineers, customer service engineers, product engineers, project engineers, instructors, computer engineers, programmers, IT officers, technical officers and technicians. Their choices of career are diverse and flexible, and some of them pursue further studies in universities.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate