Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3064
Duration and Credit Requirement
63 (plus training credits)
Students may be required to take an extra subject in Physics depending on their entry qualifications.
Dr W.L. Chan
BSc(Eng), MPhil, PhD, MHKIE, SrMIEEE
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
The programme aims to provide students with a sound education in electrical engineering. The programme is designed to produce engineering technologists/technicians who can practise electrical engineering with competence in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and the neighbouring regions. The programme emphasises foundation-knowledge and its applications, practical skills, problem-solving ability and team spirit.
This programme paves the way for graduates to further study for a professional qualification. It aims at providing a route of articulation to degree programmes. Graduates will be able to obtain up to two years of exemption from study of a four-year Honours degree programme of a similar discipline.
- Students study all essential elements of electrical engineering, supported by physics, mathematics, electronics, computing, mechanical engineering, Chinese and English.
- Year One covers a diverse range of Foundation Subjects, such as Physics, Mathematics, Languages, Computing and Electronics. Year One teaching extends to the summer.
- Year Two covers essential technical subjects in electrical engineering. Students will also undertake a Group Project during this year.
- More information on the subjects and the progression pattern can be found at http://www.ee.polyu.edu.hk.
Recognition and Prospects
Electrical engineers are required in many large industrial companies, with demand far exceeding supply. They often work in the following areas:
- Electric power generation
- Intelligent buildings
- Electric mass transportation
- Electric and hybrid vehicles
- Control and automation
- Electric apparatus development
- Environmental control
- Renewable energy
- Product manufacturing
- Building services
- Energy auditing
- Highway lighting and control
- Utility companies (e.g. airports, gas, water, telecommunications)
Graduates are readily offered relevant challenging and rewarding careers. They are particularly welcome by employers because of their outstanding theoretical backgrounds and their application-oriented experiences.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate