Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Management
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3583
Duration and Credit Requirement
120 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr CHAN Chi-hong Simon
BA (Hons), M.Phil, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr KO Chi-chung Stephen
BSocSc (Hons), LLM, MBA, PhD
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- All BBA(Hons) students must complete a short work placement during their studies, either in the summer or during semester time. The Department provides assistance in finding suitable placements.
Aims and Characteristics
Management skills are required by all business professionals. As an area of study, management is concerned with how to get the best out of people and other resources.
This programme provides students with a well-rounded business education and training in general management, along with the opportunity to specialise in human resource management. Students are equipped with a wide range of management skills to give them the potential to develop as business leaders in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and the region.
Management is a lively and interesting subject to study. Our programme emphasises the development of academic and professional knowledge and practical skills in general management and human resource management, including communication and presentation, leadership and teamwork, problem solving and the effective use of information technology.
The programme offers a wide range of subject choices in the fields of general, strategy and human resource management, such as Business Negotiation, Environmental Management for Business, Gender & Organisations, Management Practice Through Real World Projects, Managing Diversity in Organisations, Chinese Business Management, Employee Relations, Employment Law, HRM in China, international HRM, Reward & Performance Management, Staffing & Selection and Training & Development. Students can choose subjects within the HRM concentration to obtain recognition by professional bodies.
There is a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role playing and simulation exercises. Visits to companies and other organisations are arranged, and practitioners are invited as guest speakers to share their practical experience with students.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme (WPDP), which includes a range of extracurricular activities, such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring, mentorship and overseas and the Chinese mainland exchanges. Each student is assigned a professional mentor who is an experienced executive or manager in the business world and who provides advice and support and helps students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits counted towards their PolyU degree.
The Department has developed opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or as part-timers to fulfil 100 hours (3 training credits) of Work-Integrated Education (WIE) requirement. Summer placements can be found in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas. These, and other forms of work experience, can count towards the WIE requirement.
This is a very flexible programme that offers a wide range of subject choices in the fields of general and strategic management, human resource management and management information systems.
Year One covers the University's core curriculum and fundamental business subjects, such as Healthy Lifestyle, Leadership & Intra-Personal Development, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Business Analytics, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Statistics for Business, and Management & Organization, along with General Education and Language and Communication Requirements subjects.
From Year Two onwards, students continue their general business education in subjects such as Corporate Social Responsibility and Strategic Management, and study management in greater depth through subjects such as Organisational Behaviour, Human Resource Management, and Managerial Leadership. They have the opportunity to choose Electives from a wide range of subjects in general and strategic management, human resource management and management information systems. Students also have the chance to integrate their management knowledge through a sizeable Management Capstone Project.
Along with a Major in Management, students can take a Minor in either another business discipline or a non-business discipline.
Information on the subjects offered can be found here.
Recognition and Prospects
1. Hong Kong Institute of Human Resource Management (HKIHRM):
- Graduates of the BBA (Hons) in Management are eligible to apply for Associate Membership of the HKIHRM provided that they have passed, in addition to the core subjects, any THREE or more of the specialist subjects under the HRM Concentration, including Employee Relations, Employment Law, Human Resource Management in China, International HRM, Reward & Performance Management, Staffing and Selection, and Training and Development.
2. Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA):
- Exemption from four papers (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1)
- Assessment of Forecasting must be included in the subject Operation Management.
3. Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA):
- Upon completion of the BBA (Hons) in Management programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Graduates qualify for a wide variety of general management and administrative positions, including roles as administrative assistants and management trainees, leading to careers in general management. In addition, specialist study in human resource management prepares them for positions such as human resource/personnel officer, training officer, recruitment officer, compensation specialist and human resource consultant.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate