Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Marketing
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3894
Duration and Credit Requirement
120 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr TAM Lai-ming Jackie
BSc, MSc, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr CHAN Ting Yan Winslet
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- All BBA(Hons) students must complete a work placement during their studies, either in the summer or during semester time. The Department provides assistance in finding suitable placements.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme provides students with:
- a well-rounded business education;
- competence in the analysis, planning, implementation and control of marketing decisions;
- analytical ability and research competence;
- the ability to communicate, interact and intervene in an integrative way for effective marketing;
- an appreciation of the responsibilities of marketing professionals within broader environmental and international contexts; and
- literacy in the use of information systems and technology that are relevant to marketing.
The programme focuses on the development of practical skills and academic and professional knowledge. It places a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role play and simulation exercises. It offers a wide range of subject choices, including Consumer Behaviour, Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Services Marketing, Internet Marketing and Marketing Management in China.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme, which includes a wide range of extracurricular activities such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring mentorship, and overseas and Chinese mainland exchanges.
Students can be attached to mentors, experienced executives or managers in the business world who provide advice and support and help students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits counted towards their PolyU degree.
Marketing graduates are well equipped with both theoretical and practical experience. Our students and graduates have a distinguished track record of obtaining awards in open competitions.
The Department has also secured opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or as part-timers to complete 100 hours (3 training credits) of Work-Integrated Education (WIE). Summer replacements may be found in Hong Kong or the Chinese mainland or overseas. These and other forms of work experience count towards the WIE requirement.
This is a very flexible programme that offers opportunities to study various marketing areas.
Year One covers the university core curriculum and fundamental business subjects, such as Healthy Lifestyle, Leadership & Intra-Personal Development, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Business Analytics, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Statistics for Business, and Introduction to Marketing, along with Language and Communication Requirements subjects.
From Year Two onwards, students continue their general business education with subjects such as Management and Organisation and Corporate Social Responsibility, and study marketing in greater depth through subjects such as Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Research, Global Marketing, Business to Business Marketing, Marketing Strategy and Product Management. They can structure their own study paths through a selection of Electives including Social Media Marketing, Further Marketing Research, Marketing Channel Management, Internet Marketing, Sales and Distribution Management and Strategic Brand Management. Students also have the chance to integrate their marketing knowledge through a Marketing Capstone Project.
Along with a Major in Marketing, students can take a Minor in either another business discipline or a non-business discipline.
Information on the subjects offered can be found here.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme is recognised by the following professional bodies:
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- BBA (Hons) in Marketing students are eligible to apply for CIM Affiliate Studying Membership and gain access to a wide range of membership benefits and online resources.
- The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Exemption from 4 papers (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1).
- THe Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- On completion of the BBA (Hons) in Marketing programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Marketing graduates qualify for a wide variety of employment opportunities, including roles in account management, advertising, marketing research, marketing/product/brand management, customer service, public relations, and consumer affairs and protection.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate