Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3753
Duration and Credit Requirement
121 (plus 10 training credits)
Dr Mui Kwok Wai, Horace
BEng(Hons), PhD, MCIBSE, MHKIE, MASHRAE, CEng, RPE(BSS)
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to approval.
- The Faculty of Construction and Environment International Student Scholarships (FCE ISS) will be offered to eligible international students. Please click here for more details.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
We produce graduates with the technical and academic competence needed to work in building services engineering.
This programme meets the demand for locally trained professional and innovative building services engineers in the fields of consultancy, contracting, building management and research and development.
Our graduates also have a broad range of personal skills, such as the ability to communicate effectively, think critically and learn independently.
Students learn the art and science of providing safe, healthy and energy-efficient built environments that have minimal adverse environmental impacts. They also face intellectual challenges that further their development towards taking up management roles in the profession.
Students have the opportunity to work in teams, lead small projects, work independently and interact with highly qualified and professional staff. They also have access to a variety of design software and laboratory facilities.
Local and offshore summer placement opportunities are offered.
Students can also join the Student Exchange Programme to study at a university in the United States, continental Europe, Australia, Russia, Southeast Asia or the Chinese mainland for a semester.
Our students are regularly awarded scholarships from professional bodies and major organizations in Hong Kong.
- Students begin by learning the fundamentals of indoor built environments, architecture and buildings, thermal and electrical fundamentals, and mathematics.
- Year 3 applies foundational knowledge to the design and operation of major building service engineering systems.
- In the final year, students undertake a major project.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.bse.polyu.edu.hk.
Recognition and Prospects
The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) has granted full accreditation to this programme. Academic programmes accredited by the HKIE for the Building Services discipline are reciprocally recognised by the UK's Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE).
BEng(Hons) graduates have good career prospects in the building construction and real estate sectors.
New building construction and a concentration of sophisticated buildings in Hong Kong provide numerous and attractive employment opportunities. As the programme is widely recognised, these opportunities extend to the Chinese mainland and overseas.
Our graduates commonly begin their careers as trainee engineers in government departments, consulting firms, contracting companies, property management companies or utility companies.
First Class Honours graduates consider research an attractive alternative, especially because building development in Hong Kong embraces advanced technology.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate