Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Investment Science and Finance Analytics
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3806
Duration and Credit Requirement
At least 123, depending on the student's qualifications (plus 2 training credits).
Prof. Yiu Ka-fai, Cedric
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr Zhao Xingqiu
BS, MSc, PhD
Assistant Programme Leaders
Dr Wong Kin Yau, Alex
BSc, MPhil, PhD
Mr Leung Man Kin, Adam
- This programme does not consider second choice applications.
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only and subject to review.
- For more programme information, please visit https://www.polyu.edu.hk/ama/ug/63426/
Aims and Characteristics
To produce graduates with strong mathematical and statistical skills and a thorough understanding of their applications in the world of modern investment and finance analytics. The programme fosters students’ skills in quantitative analysis, data analytics, critical thinking and communication, which enable them to develop an outlook and methodology invaluable to the pursuit of careers in a variety of areas, such as investment banking, fund management, risk management and financial product development and pricing.
This programme focuses on the study of modern data analytics needed in today's financial industry. Its curriculum design covers subjects such as big data analytics, business intelligence, customer relationship management, machine learning, algorithmic trading and artificial intelligence, all of which strengthen students’ data interpretation and analytical skills and prepare them to pursue careers in the rapidly evolving investment and finance industries.
- Year 1: students study the General University Requirement (GUR) subjects, common science subjects and foundation mathematics and statistics.
- Year 2: students study compulsory subjects in mathematics, statistics and finance.
- Years 3 and 4: students study advanced subjects in investment science, finance analytics and computer science, including Elective Subjects.
In their fourth year of study, students complete a Capstone Project in which they tackle a problem or research topic in investment science/applied mathematics/statistics, consolidating the discipline-specific knowledge, concepts and generic skills they have accrued during the programme.
For details, please refer to www.polyu.edu.hk/ama/ug/63426.
Recognition and Prospects
The programme is designed to develop students’ skills in quantitative analysis, data analytics, critical thinking and communication, which enable them to pursue careers in business- and finance-related fields such as investment banking, fund management, risk management and financial product development and pricing.
In addition to finance-related fields, our programme supports graduates' pursuit of careers in information technology, scientific research, education, marketing and consultancy. Many of our graduates have found jobs in prestigious financial institutions and renowned corporations across the Asia Pacific region.
Upon completing the programme, graduates are expected to receive partial exemption from the professional assessment of:
- the Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute;
- the Hong Kong Statistical Society (subject to confirmation); and
- the Royal Statistical Society of the UK (subject to confirmation).