Higher Diploma in Chemical Technology
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3040
Duration and Credit Requirement
Dr Cheung Kwong-chak, Gary
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only and subject to review.
- To recognise the outstanding academic performance of HKDSE students, the Department will grant entry scholarship to eligible HKDSE students admitted to the programmes via JUPAS. The award criteria of the scholarship are listed in the information sheet, which is subject to change and will be announced on the same website in due course.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
A solid background in applied chemistry prepares graduates for careers in the industrial, business and public sectors as well-trained senior technicians, technologists or professional salespeople. This programme enhances the career prospects of those who wish to be trained in chemical technology. It helps students to develop creative thinking, analytical skills, independent learning/work skills and high levels of competitiveness.
This programme emphasises the contribution of chemistry to Hong Kong and the Greater China region. Additional subjects are available to develop students' skills in communication and chemical analysis. The programme also prepares students for further studies at the degree level in Hong Kong or overseas.
Recognition and Prospects
Graduates can work in production, quality control, waste treatment, environmental management and research and development.
- The programme includes the University's core curriculum and training in industrial chemistry, process technology and basic chemistry.
- Year One studies focus on the University's core curriculum and underpinning subjects common to science students and basic chemical principles with laboratory skills.
- Year Two studies focus on the applications of chemistry in industrial and commercial sectors, including polymers, environmental chemistry and analytical chemistry.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/~abct.
Entrance Requirements and Subject Weightings
Satisfy the University's General Entrance Requirements.
There is no compulsory subject requirement. Preferred subject(s) with the highest weighting for admission score calculation include(s):
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subject(s) that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation is/are:
- Environmental Engineering
- Events Planning and Operation
- Exercise Science and Health Fitness
- Foundation in Chinese Medicine
- Fundamental Health Care
- Health and Beauty Keeping in TCM
- Health Care Practice
- Medical Laboratory Science
Admission Score Calculation
Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects
(Click here for an explanation)
2017-18: 19.5 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
2018-19: 19.3 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
2019-20: 17.8 (Chinese & English Languages + Any Best 3 Subjects)
(Click here for an explanation)
Additional Documents Required
No information is available at present.