Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Marketing
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: 02402-SYK
Duration and Credit Requirement
66-75 (plus 3 training credits)
Dr TAM Lai-ming Jackie
BSc, MSc, PhD
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr CHAN Ting Yan Winslet
- This programme is offered within the BBA(Hons) Scheme.
- The curriculum of this programme, including the credit requirements, is subject to review.
- The exact study duration and number of credits to be transferred will depend on the entry qualification of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme provides students with:
- A well-rounded business education;
- Competence in the analysis, planning, implementation and control of marketing decisions;
- Analytical ability and research competence;
- The ability to communicate, interact and intervene in the integrative role that is ascribed to marketing;
- Appreciation of the responsibilities of marketing professionals within broader environmental and international contexts; and
- Literacy in the use of information systems and technology relevant to marketing.
The programme focuses on the development of practical skills and academic and professional knowledge. It places a strong emphasis on interactive and student-centred learning methods, including case studies, role playing and simulation exercises. It offers a wide range of subject choices, including Consumer Behaviour, Integrated Marketing Communications, Marketing Research, Services Marketing, Internet Marketing and Marketing Management in China.
All students within the Faculty of Business are encouraged to participate in the Whole Person Development Programme (WPDP), which includes a wide range of extracurricular activities such as leadership training camps, peer tutoring mentorship, and overseas and Chinese mainland exchanges.
Students can be attached to mentors, experienced executives or managers in the business world who provides advice and support and helps students to plan their careers and prepare for their first jobs after graduation.
Subject to availability, BBA students can spend a semester studying at another university overseas or in the Chinese mainland and have the credits counted towards their PolyU degree.
Marketing students are well equipped with both theoretical and practical experience upon graduation. Our students and graduates have a remarkable track record of obtaining awards from open competitions.
The Department has also developed opportunities for students to work in firms either during the summer vacation or as part-timers to fulfil 100 hours (3 training credits) of Work-Integrated Education (WIE) requirement. Summer replacements may be found in Hong Kong or the Chinese mainland or overseas. These, and other forms of work experience, can count towards the WIE requirement.
Students will be admitted to the senior year of the 4-year degree programme.
This is a very flexible programme that offers opportunities to study various marketing areas.
Students study business subjects such as Strategic Management and Corporate Social Responsibility, and marketing subjects such as Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Research, Global Marketing, Business to Business Marketing, Marketing Strategy and Product Management. They can structure their own study paths through a selection of Electives including Social Media Marketing, Internet Marketing, Sales and Distribution Management and Strategic Brand Management. Students also have the opportunity to integrate their marketing knowledge through a Marketing Capstone Project.
More information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme is recognised by the following professional bodies:
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- BBA (Hons) in Marketing students can register as CIM Affiliate Studying Members directly online with CIM and gain access to a wide range of membership benefits and online resources.
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Exemption from 4 papers (BA1, BA2, BA3 and E1)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- On completion of BBA (Hons) in Marketing programme, graduates are eligible to apply for exemption from some ACCA papers.
* Recognition is subject to accreditation assessment.
Marketing graduates qualify for a wide variety of employment opportunities, including account management, advertising, marketing research, marketing/product/brand management, customer service, public relations, and consumer affairs and protection.
- An appropriate Associate Degree or Higher Diploma in a relevant discipline with good academic result.
- In addition to academic results, preference will be given to applicants with good performance in the admission test and interview.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate