Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Civil Engineering
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: 31469-SY
Duration and Credit Requirement
Normally 67 (plus 4 practical training credits)
A student's actual study pattern will depend on the subjects taken in previous Higher Diploma or Associate Degree study as well as successful credit transfers according to the relevant criteria.
Ir. Chung Lim KWAN
BEng, MPhil, PgDipEdu, CEng, MHKIE, MICE
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
- The exact duration of study and the number of credits to be transferred will depend on the academic background and entry qualifications of individual AD/HD admittees.
Aims and Characteristics
This professional programme is designed to provide students with a broad-based and high quality interdisciplinary education in areas of structural, environmental, transportation, hydraulic and geotechnical engineering as well as construction management. It aims to nurture students as all-round civil engineers who are ready to work on engineering projects with commercial, social, legal and political complexities.
The attractive features of this programme are as follows.
- Two-year full-time comprehensive programme with a wide range of core and elective subjects;
- Summer industry placement in Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland or overseas between the first and second years of the programme; and
- Scholarships available for students with excellent academic performance.
- Comprehensive civil engineering subjects cover practical knowledge of structural, hydraulic, environmental, geotechnical, construction management and transportation engineering.
- In the final year, students are required to work on an Individual Project and a Design Project. Students are also allowed to choose elective subjects which are of their interest.
- For subject details, please visit www.polyu.edu.hk/cee/.
Recognition and Prospects
Full accreditation has been granted for the 4-year BEng (Hons) Degree Programme in Civil Engineering by The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Graduates of this programme will be qualified for Scheme A training of the following disciplines of HKIE:
Logistics & Transportation Discipline (on condition that the graduates must have completed "CSE40408 - Traffic Surveys and Transport Planning")
Graduates of this programme are expected to be qualified for Corporate Membership of HKIE.
Our graduates are well-prepared for employment as professional trainees and receiving rewarding salaries in both public and private sectors, such as Buildings Department, Civil Engineering and Development Department, Drainage Services Department, Environmental Protection Department, Highways Department, Housing Department, Transport Department, Water Supplies Department of the HKSAR, engineering consultants and contractors.
- A Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree in civil engineering or structural engineering, or a relevant discipline.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on their academic merit. Interviews/written tests may be arranged, if necessary.
Additional Documents Required
Transcript / Certificate