Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Air Transport Engineering
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: 48401
Duration and Credit Requirement
Normally 66 (plus 4 training credits)
Note: The individual credits required may vary depending on the academic background of the student
Dr Frank Zou
BEng, PhD, AMRAeS, MInstP
- The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
This programme aims to provide students and produce highly skilled graduates with:
- an in-depth understanding of the operation of air transport engineering including aircraft maintenance and airport operation businesses;
- the competence to handle various engineering problems in the aviation industry both practically and academically;
- sufficient knowledge and skills to effectively and efficiently manage various projects related to the aviation sector;
- confidence in communicating with different parties and stakeholders through the use of state-of-the-art technologies and aviation language (both English and Chinese).
The BEng (Hons) in Air Transport Engineering (ATE) is a top-up degree programme providing fundamental aviation knowledge for HD and AD graduates and preparing students for professional or licensed aircraft engineer certification and aviation operation management. Aviation is a multi-disciplinary industry. For this reason, wherever appropriate, subjects are co-taught by PolyU academics and industry professionals to give students the best possible learning experience and first-hand information related to the aviation industry.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 66 or more academic credits to satisfy the graduation requirements.
- These 66 credits comprise 9 credits of General University Requirements (GUR) and 57 credits of Discipline-Specific Requirements (DSR).
- We have also incorporated 4 Industrial Centre (IC) training credits into this programme.
First Study Year
Students receive fundamental knowledge of aircraft engineering principles and aviation operations. In the summer, students have the opportunity to undertake internships, which may be offered by industrial partners.
Final Study Year
Specific knowledge in areas such as airport project management, airworthiness, and flight mechanics and control systems are delivered to students, who are required to select four subjects from a pool of electives in the following streams:
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering*
- Aviation Service Engineering
- Pilot Ground Theory**
* Students who choose Aircraft Maintenance Engineering stream are eligible to receive B1.1 and B2 aircraft maintenance training (subject to approval).
** Students who choose Pilot Ground Theory stream are eligible to receive Extra Professional Training (EPT).
Elective subjects provide students with professional expert knowledge in a specialised area of aviation. Furthermore, students have the opportunity to apply the skills and knowledge they have acquired in their final year projects.
Summer internships, industrial visits, on-site experience sharing and industrial training are arranged to complement classroom teaching and enhance students’ learning and industrial experience in the field of aeronautics and aviation. Industrial training is provided by the PolyU Industrial Centre.
Note: Students not meeting the equivalent standard of the Undergraduate Degree Language Communication Requirements (LCR) based on their previous studies in AD/HD programmes and their academic performance will be required to take additional credits (6 in English and 3 in Chinese) on top of the programme's normal credit requirements.
Students are required to spend at least 2 weeks of full-time WIE training in a suitable organization before graduation.
Recognition and Prospects
This programme has been granted full accreditation by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE).
Graduates are able to seek employment as professional engineers in aviation engineering fields such as aircraft component design, manufacturing and maintenance; in-air transportation and logistics; airport engineering operation; and civil aviation.
- An Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in a related engineering discipline.
- In addition to considering academic results, preference will be given to applicants who exhibit excellent interview performance.