Higher Diploma in Electronic and Information Engineering
Sept 2020 EntryProgramme code: JS3076
Duration and Credit Requirement
63 (plus 3 training credits)
Students may be required to take an extra subject in Physics depending on their entry qualifications.
Dr W.Y. Tam
BSc, MPhil, PhD, SrMIEEE
The credit requirements of this programme are indicative only. They are subject to review.
Aims and Characteristics
Programme Aims & Learning Outcomes
This programme aims to produce graduates with the professional knowledge and skills that are relevant for a professional technologist in the field of electronic and information engineering. Graduates of the programme are ready to either advance to a higher level of study or pursue a career in the relevant fields.
The representative subjects include:
- Computer System Fundamentals
- Object-oriented Design and Programming
- Data and Computer Communications
- Microcontroller Systems and Interface
Students gain a solid foundation in computer programming, data communications, database systems and electronic circuit analysis.
Graduates may be considered for admission to degree programmes in Hong Kong, including those programmes offered by the Department, with credit transfers.
- Year One covers Foundation Subjects in electronic and information engineering and general subjects, including mathematics, physics and English.
- In Year Two, students receive more training in the core technical subjects. They can specialise in certain areas of study by choosing from amongst Elective Subjects.
- Information on the subjects offered can be obtained here.
Recognition and Prospects
The curriculum is designed to train technologists to meet the needs of the electronic and information engineering industry in both the manufacturing and service sectors. The local manufacturing industry requires incorporated engineers in the areas of design, research and development, testing and quality control. The industry's service sector mainly consists of service providers in the field of telecommunications and in the sales of electronic and information products such as computers and electronic equipment. These service providers require trained technical personnel for maintenance, customer service, field applications, technical support and marketing.